Bloods are in...
Well had the results from Daniels bloods, good news & bad. Firstly the good, (for those of you with "liver kids" here are the numbers:
BILI - 10
ALBUMIN - 42
GGT - 78
ALT - 42
AST - 83
ALK PHOS - 919 (down from almost 1500!)
All in all good numbers for LFT's. However his platelets where low at only 99, last check 3 months ago they where 199. I didnt really understand the significance of this to be honest until I asked my friends over at "liver families". Thing is, although it doesnt increase the risk of bleeding. His blood isnt clotting as well as it should and that leads me to ask myself why? Especially since his other numbers are so good. Could it be a simple lab error? since when his platelets where checked in Leeds they where ok at 199. I asked Leeds to reasure me, which they did (thanks Sophia!) They said most kids with liver disease have low platlets and the next time they where tested they could be better. We are going in December and although I did feel better that we are not alone, i still hold so many questions in my head. Some of which my friend Sharon asked just recently on our Liver familes sight.
The whole portal hypertension thing is a big issue for me. I dont understand it and maybe I never will, but Daniel is sue an ultrasound in December and I will be sure to ask some questions about it then.
Think I frightened the Girls is Daniel's new nursery though (which he is still loving by the way :-) ) when I said he had low platelets and if he started to vomit blood or have alot of blood is his nappy just to dial 999 - ok, so maybe it was slightly over the top considering we dont even know if he has varicies!
I will leave you with that thought x x x
BILI - 10
ALBUMIN - 42
GGT - 78
ALT - 42
AST - 83
ALK PHOS - 919 (down from almost 1500!)
All in all good numbers for LFT's. However his platelets where low at only 99, last check 3 months ago they where 199. I didnt really understand the significance of this to be honest until I asked my friends over at "liver families". Thing is, although it doesnt increase the risk of bleeding. His blood isnt clotting as well as it should and that leads me to ask myself why? Especially since his other numbers are so good. Could it be a simple lab error? since when his platelets where checked in Leeds they where ok at 199. I asked Leeds to reasure me, which they did (thanks Sophia!) They said most kids with liver disease have low platlets and the next time they where tested they could be better. We are going in December and although I did feel better that we are not alone, i still hold so many questions in my head. Some of which my friend Sharon asked just recently on our Liver familes sight.
The whole portal hypertension thing is a big issue for me. I dont understand it and maybe I never will, but Daniel is sue an ultrasound in December and I will be sure to ask some questions about it then.
Think I frightened the Girls is Daniel's new nursery though (which he is still loving by the way :-) ) when I said he had low platelets and if he started to vomit blood or have alot of blood is his nappy just to dial 999 - ok, so maybe it was slightly over the top considering we dont even know if he has varicies!
I will leave you with that thought x x x

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home