Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Making Memories.....

Well the last week has been packed full of simple things that Daniel has wanted to do (most of you know the basic details from FB but i decided to give a bit more detail here). We started off with "Toy Story 3 in 3d" last week Daniel really enjoyed the film despite asking after 30 mins if it was nearly finished!! He was a little uncomfortable in the seats due to his now massive (and expanding) tummy but he managed fine. Next in line was a trip to a chineese restaurant that has a chocolate fountain....bare in mind Daniel hasnt actually eaten anything for months (he is tube fed) yet he was still desperate to go, so off we went with some friends and family and he throughully enjoyed himself "waiting on" everyone, he was up and down many times and even managed some cheesecake and a few bits from the fountain. Next Day was a visit from Grandma and Grandad (from scotland) and that too picked Daniel up - he loves Grandads attention and enjoyed spending some quality time with them both!.
Our days are filled with visitors and gifts coming through the post from all our wonderful friends, Daniel gets tired alot and has spend alot of the time recently sleeping - during a 24 hour period he may only be awake 6 hours or so but the time he is awake he is still enjoying his time.
Michael and I had a chat with Dr Caswell on Monday, he is Daniels consultant and yet had been on holiday when the decision about his treatment was made. I knew at this point what the doctor would say but Michael felt the need for closure, he needed to hear it from Dr C. He did. He basically told us they had done everything, tried everything but he had "resistant disease" and it hadnt responded to any amount of chemo. He said "looking back the response got less and less on each round of chemo" that means the disease from the beginning had started to fight the chemo thus making it ineffective.
Back onto the memories, well today was a good day. Whislt speaking to Dr C Michael decided to ask if Daniel could go "swimming" he has been asking to do it for months but with his central line being in place we had been told it wasnt possible, however now things had changed and they said "yes"!! Im so glad they did because unbeknown to us Daniel had gotten out of bed in hosp and made his way over to the office where the docs and us where discussing it! The biggest smile i have seen for months appeared across his face and he literally skipped out of the building. So, today we went, i had been saying i thought he may only step in and get out, but NO Daniel is still as determined as he ever was and he managed nearly an hour in the water, he played on the "fun house" and went on the BIG slide with his Daddy and even had a swim in the pool with his armbands - That same smile i saw yesterday never left his face for the whole time :) He is amazing....that word.....that child.....amazing xxx

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz, reading your post, my heart is so full of Daniel. An amazing child, indeed - and so much loved, all around.
Thinking of you all daily.
Sven from LF

3:00 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm so pleased you are enjoying and loving Daniel to the fullest. We're thinking of you, and sending love from the States.
Jenchar (Jen), mom of Grace & Meghan, ZZ Alphas from LF

4:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz,
I'm so happy to read of Daniel's swim time and his smile. I'm praying for you guys and Daniel every day. Daniel is "AMAZING"! You and Michael are doing a fabulous job as parents and advocates for Daniel. Keep enjoying making every memory you can. Much love and prayers for you all.
Love, Cindy, mom2tyman, LF

11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post..so glad Daniel and your family got to enjoy the day together swimming and playing! Daniel's smile shows what an AMAZING little guy you have there! Daniel is so blessed to have parents like you! Continued prayers for Daniel and your family!
Hugs
Jennifer Wallace (LF)
www.brookemariewallace.com

11:34 am  
Blogger Jeannie, Jane, Angel, Mommy, etc.. said...

Liz, there are no words that I can say that will truly express how I feel for you and your family. I know that this is a rough road for you all, but I am glad that you were blessed with such an amazing child. He is so loved and I am sure he knows it. We are thinking about you.
Jeannie - Emberzmmy from LF

5:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending my love to you and some strength.
Irene (LF)

1:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz, I so wish I lived close so I could see you and let you know how amazing you are! Our prayers are with you always. I'm so happy to hear that you all are getting to enjoy Daniel and life to the fullest in these days ahead. May God bring you comfort and peace! Sending extra hugs and love from here in the States. Thanks so much for keeping us all posted. Its a wonderful feeling to those of us here who know he's able to enjoy a few special gifts that have come in the mail for him!

Always praying,
Michelle (Weston's Mom on LF)

2:25 pm  
Anonymous moreena said...

Sending love, and wishes for many good memories to be made.

Anni the other day set the timer on the oven, and then began scribbling madly on a piece of paper. When the timer went off, she dropped the pen and went off to do something else. I picked up the paper and it said "Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!" over and over again. I asked her about it later and she said that she just wanted to see how many times she could write "Amazing!" in one minute.

So now I'm hoping that you and your family can fit more of those "Amazing!"s into your days, and that you have pages and pages full of them to hold onto.

10:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home